Spring is here! And it means business with all the sunshine, blue sky and oh so nice weather. Finally, Winter, I love your coats and boots, but please go away, far away, till laters. And with Spring comes Gelato-time! This honeycomb one looks as yummie as it probably tastes. Aren’t the pictures mouth-watering beautiful? I.WANT.THIS.GELATO.BADLY.
For the adventurous one, here’s the recipe (not sure where you can get honeycomb though…):
HONEYCOMB SEMIFREDDO BY DONNA HAY
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, extra
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar (I used 3/4 cup instead)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500ml) single (pouring) cream
- 100g honeycomb, chopped
- Place the eggs, extra yolks, sugar and vanilla in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and thick. Remove from the heat and beat for a further 6–8 minutes or until cooled.
- Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold the cream through the egg mixture until well combined. Fold through the honeycomb. Pour into a 2 litre-capacity metal tin and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Spoon into cones to serve. Makes 2 litres
Honestly, if a guy every surprises me with homemade gelato, it’s a home run and a wrap for life.